Today’s guest is Andy Goldstein, Co-Founder and Managing Director of German Accelerator, German Entrepreneurship as well as Deloitte Digital, and serial entrepreneur.
We talk about Andy’s perception of crises – or as he calls them “breakdowns.” According to him, every breakdown is the opportunity for a breakthrough! We also talk about pitfalls entrepreneurs might face and ways to successfully steer your business through a crisis. Towards the end of the conversation, we look at digital transformations and Andy’s personal experience as an American living in Europe for more than 35 years.
A very insightful exchange with lots of great anecdotes from Andy’s personal and professional experiences. So without further ado, enjoy the conversation!
In this episode, we talk about:
- How Andy started his own business at the age of 21 as well as the ups and downs of the years thereafter.
- How the definition of “crisis” is quite individual – just because the world around you is in crisis, does not mean YOU are in a crisis!
- Why a crisis should rather be called a “breakdown,” what entrepreneurs can do in times of crisis, and what pitfalls to look out for to avoid mistakes.
- Tips for Entrepreneurs in Times of a Crisis:
- Pitfalls & Issues to be Avoided During a Breakdown
- The Corona situation in 2020 and how breakthroughs help startups pivot and overcome their individual breakdown, such as MeetAnyway.
- The upside of the pandemic: COVID-19 enhanced the digital transformation in many companies. According to Andy, one of the best outcomes is that the myth of “you can’t work at home” is gone.
- Why leaders have to understand value and what value is about when it comes to clients.
- What drew Andy to Europe and above all, what kept him here.
- Why change is an essential part of being an entrepreneur and why change always requires flexibility because nothing ever follows your plan at all times.
As Andy mentioned during the conversation, we at German Accelerator are also up to new things: we are working on a new program pilot to be launched in 2021 to prepare German startups for international markets. Stay tuned!
About German Accelerator’s Startup Stereo:
German Accelerator’s “Startup Stereo” is a podcast with and for founders, innovators, and change-makers. Plug into the stories, experiences, and best practices around startups, expansion, leadership, new work, company culture, and more. Stay tuned for more episodes in the near future!